Schools that are not integrating with Magnus, via single-sign on through their student information system or parent portal (Click here for a list of our integration partners), will need to follow this guide. This CSV import process allows you to build a roster of students and parents that will need to access to Magnus. Follow the outline below and let your Client Experience Manager know if you have any questions along the way.
Please note that the preferred method of sending a CSV file to Magnus is via ARI (Auto Roster Import). CSV files that are not sent via ARI or the integration process will result in extra fees for the school. Please see Step 3 below.
Clicking on a .csv will allow you to view it. Typically Internet Explorer will load it into Excel automatically, while other browsers like Firefox will allow you to view the text file in the browser itself. Right-clicking on the .csv will allow you to download the file to your computer for use in any application that you choose.
How it works
Our upload is designed in a “student centric” format. Each row in your spreadsheet will represent one student, along with up to four parents. The template you downloaded in Step 1 is an exact format for import to Magnus. Column order cannot be modified in any way, and must be uploaded according to the exact order of the header row, for the import to work properly.
Getting started checklist
- Roster must be compiled in Excel and saved as a CSV format.
- Do NOT include a field that is not in the list below.
- Do NOT include social security numbers.
- Do NOT change the order of columns in the CSV file.
- Ensure there is no hidden formatting or special characters in the file.
- Do NOT include passwords. A temporary password is generated randomly and encrypted for security purposes. We do not allow passwords to be included in roster imports. When a parent logs in for the first time, they will be immediately instructed to change their temporary password.
- All fields with a red asterisk in the list below are required.
- Each row is designed to accommodate one student and up to four parents. If there is more than one parent associated with the same student(s) you must add them on the same line and follow the parent format.
- If parent 2, 3, or 4 is included, they must have a different username than parent 1. We strongly encourage each parent to have different email addresses to prevent confusion when receiving messages from Magnus.
- Parents 2, 3, and 4 are not required unless each parent of the student would like their own login credentials. Each parent will have their own unique login information (username and password) to access one Magnus account for the student. This is important to note for sensitive family dynamics such as divorce.
- The Vendor Key field for students and parents is required. A vendor key is used if you have another system, such as a SIS (Student Information System) that has assigned a unique ID to the parent or student. Vendor keys also prevent duplication across the Magnus system; they are not visible to school administrators when logged into the account. They are useful if you need to export a report from Magnus and want to match it with data in your SIS.
Field-by-field cheat sheet
|CSV Column Header||Sample Data||Description|
|Student 1 Last *
||Smith||Last Name of the student|
|Student 1 First *||Todd||First Name of the student|
|Student 1 DOB *||04/01/2005||Date of birth of the student|
|Student 1 Grad Year *||2016||Graduating class year of the student|
|Student 1 VendorKey *||A4587569PX45||Vendor key for the student. Vendor key is a unique ID within the third party system that you are exporting your data. Often this is called the record ID or GUID of the student.|
|Parent 1 U/N *||john.smith||Unique username of parent in magnus. Username has to be unique in Magnus.|
|Parent 1 Last *||Smith||Last name of the parent|
|Parent 1 Middle Initial||A||Middle initial of the parent|
|Parent 1 First *||John||First name of the parent|
|Parent 1 Emailemail@example.com||Email address of the parent. At least one parent is required to have an email address. You can include parent 2, 3 and 4 without an email address but they will not receive login credentials. They will only be listed in the Vital Health Record as an emergency contact.|
|Parent 1 VendorKey *||AS348475840DG||Vendor key for the parent. Vendor key is a unique ID from the third party system that you are exporting your data. Often this is called the record ID or GUID of the parent.|
|Parent 1 Home Phone *||919-555-0101||Home phone number of the parent. If not available, enter “000-000-0000”.|
|Parent 1 Cell Phone||919-555-0110||Cell phone number of the parent|
|Parent 1 Work Phone||919-555-0404||Work phone number of the parent|
|Parent 1 Address||3212 Ocean View Road||Street address of the parent|
|Parent 1 City||Raleigh||City of the parent|
|Parent 1 State||NC||State of the parent|
|Parent 1 Zip Code||27601||Zip Code of the parent|
|Parent 2||Repeat all of the Parent Fields for Parent 2 if necessary.|
|Parent 3||Repeat all of the Parent Fields for Parent 3 if necessary.|
|Parent 4||Repeat all of the Parent Fields for Parent 4 if necessary.|
Once you have finished these steps, we will provision credentials for your Auto Roster Import account. With these credentials you will have the ability to schedule the roster to import directly to Magnus on a set frequency (i.e., daily, weekly, monthly, etc). You can include your full roster and any updates to existing rows (i.e., a parent changes their cell phone number) will be processed, as well as new students being added to your account.
Scheduling the roster for import will have to be set up in the software program you are using to export (i.e., your Student Information System) your roster. While most systems have this capability, there could be a module or add-on to your account that is needed to perform this task. Please check with your software vendor directly if you have questions about how to schedule your report to send to Magnus Auto Roster Import.
Please note: any file that is uploaded outside of ARI or an integration will result in the school being invoiced $100 per file uploaded. These include parent centric rosters, manual account creation via Sharefile and/or an emailed excel spreadsheet.
The school submits an original file (a roster) with all parents and students via Sharefile, a secure FTP site. This will require the user to manage a separate username and password. Any new students, i.e. start of school year or late enrollment, should be submitted in a new file. Please do not provide a previously submitted file. Subsequent rosters must be submitted via Sharefile. Changes to family relationships, i.e. adding siblings or parents to existing parents/students, can be made by an administrator in the Admin Dashboard. We will not process requests to add fewer than five students/families after the initial upload process. This must be added to the system manually using the Add Relationship feature.
If you do not have credentials to your school’s sharefile account, you can contact your Client Experience Manager.